Oven-baked s'mores have been a favorite summer treat of mine since I was a preteen. Baking the s'mores is a lot safer and easier than roasting the marshmallows over a flame, and I find that open-faced s'mores are a lot neater to eat than the regular kind as the marshmallow and chocolate doesn't ooze out!
Ingredients to Make Two S'mores
- 2 graham cracker squares
- 1 large marshmallow*- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
* I like Dandie's marshmallows, which are all natural and suitable for vegetarian and vegan diets.
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil, and place two graham cracker squares on it.
2. Cut or pull the marshmallow in half and place one half on each graham cracker square, sticky-side down.
3. Bake the marshmallow-topped graham crackers for 6-8 minutes, or until the marshmallows have doubled in size. Keep an eye on the marshmallows when making this for the first time--they may puff up faster if your oven runs hot!
4. Remove the pan from the oven. Use the back of a spoon to press down each marshmallow, creating an indentation. Divide the tablespoon of chocolate chips between each indentation.
5.Turn the oven off and place the pan back inside. Let the residual heat melt the chocolate chips for about one minute. Pull the pan out, use a butter knife to spread the melted chocolate, and enjoy!
Makes 2 s'mores