With extra heat and humidity and the perils of mosquito bites and sunburn, summer can be a time when your skin needs a little extra care. But it's also a time to brighten up your appearance have have fun with your beauty routine. If, like me, you prefer beauty products that are mostly natural but are shopping on a budget, then you might like some of my favorite drugstore finds:
1. Days spent in sand and saltwater and nights in air conditioning can leave skin in need of moisturization. This sheer lotion from Burt's Bees is refreshingly lightweight, convenient to spritz on, and scented with a summery fruity-floral blend. Burt's Bees Sheer Body Lotion in Clementine & Calla Lily, $10.00.
2. Sunscreen is a must-have when exposing skin to the sun. While this formulation from Neutrogena is intended for babies, the high SPF is great for those with sun-sensitive skin. The blocking effect here comes from minerals rather than chemicals, and personally I find it's the best protection for my always-burns, never-tans complexion. Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Broad-Spectrum SPF 60+ Sunscreen Lotion, $11.49.
3. Witch hazel is an all-purpose miracle remedy for summer skin woes. It soothes itchiness and swelling from bug bites, brings down redness from sunburn, and can prevent discoloration from bruises if applied quickly after an injury. I like this organic, alcohol-free version from Thayers, as formulas with alcohol can be a little more drying. Thayers Original Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel Toner, $10.95.
4. Lips need hydration in the summer as well as skin. This tinted balm from Burt's Bees is dual-purpose, keeping lips moisturized while adding a natural touch of color--Zinnia is a great coral pink shade for a summery look! Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Zinnia, $5.00.
5. Sun-In is a spray that brings out hair's natural highlights. While is does contain hydrogen peroxide to speed up the process, it also has a lot of highlight-enhancing botanical ingredients such as lemon juice, chamomile, and calendula and conditions while it lightens. Sun-In Hair Lightener in Lemon, available from most drugstores, usually less than $5.00.
6. Towelettes are a great way to freshen up quickly after being out in the heat and helpful for removing greasy sunscreen residue after returning indoors. My favorites are these pink grapefruit towelettes from Burt's Bees, for their bright citrus scent and oil-removing formula. Burt's Bees Facial Cleansing Towelettes in Pink Grapefruit, $6.00.
Post a Comment
Penny for your thoughts?
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.