Plain muffins with spread with jam are one of my favorite breakfast treats, and this recipe combines the two prior to baking for an easy-to-serve variation. The jam doesn't bleed into this scone-like muffin, resulting in a distinct layer of jam throughout. I used raspberry jam and added a little almond extract to the batter, inspired by the flavor of my favorite raspberry-almond thumbprint cookies, but you could easily substitute any jam and flavorings you like.
- 1 1/2 cups einkorn flour*
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder- 1/2 teaspoon salt- 4 tablespoons butter, melted- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Raspberry or preferred flavor jam
*Einkorn flour is made from an ancient variety of wheat and is naturally moister than all-purpose flour. If you substitute all-purpose flour, you may need to add 1-2 extra tablespoons of melted butter.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line ten muffin cups with muffin wrappers and set aside.2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.3. Measure the milk in a glass measuring cup. Add the melted butter and stir. Lightly beat in the egg. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and stir.4. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and gently stir until the dry ingredients are moistened and no visible flour remains in the bowl--the batter will be on the thick side.5. Spoon a heaped tablespoonful of the muffin mixture into the bottom of each lined muffin cup. Don't worry about spreading the mixture evenly--the uneven shape will create the swirled effect! Spoon a heaped teaspoonful of jam roughly in the center of each muffin cup. Top with a dollop of muffin mixture, making sure to divide the remaining mixture evenly among all the cups. The jam does not need to be covered completely and will look more swirled if some of it is peeking through.6. Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are lightly golden brown. Carefully remove the muffins from the pan and let cool on a wire rack.Makes 10 muffins